Pages

Sunday 30 August 2015

A closer encounter with SLE

It has been about 9 years I have not met him. He told me that he had SLE 2-3 years ago, I thought he was joking but apparently it was real. I didn’t feel much because I have never seen an SLE patient before.  A twinky guy leap into the kopitiam, I thought he grew a larger head – he had a pony tail now. He said he wanted to try out the feel of having long hair.

Still retaining his dai-lou gangster behavior since national service 2006, he speaks pompously. But I never bother anyway, it was pretty pleasant. I guessed no much people can do it that way, it sounded like boasting but the content is not. (I sounded fucked up.) We decided to go the ice-blended pioneer in Sg Petani, RM2.30 a cup of red bean ice-blended with some milo powder on top.

I looked at him, I felt difficult. I wanted to examine his condition, but I don’t want to sound pity. I asked anyway. He had two pink lumps with visible needle marks, the size of your thumb and I wasn’t kidding, on his right bicep area. He is currently doing 3-4 times of dialysis per week, meaning in alternate days he will need to visit a dialysis center with 4 hours of treatment. He travels back and forth to Penang Island all these while. I felt painful.

He is no longer working. He just plays games at home, and the latest addiction is one-piece RPG game. His daily routine includes about 1 hr of cycling 6-7am in the morning, to train leg muscles. Then he would have 2 eggs, only the egg whites to replenish the loosing muscle mass. He told me that he may die any moment, probably tomorrow, may be next year. Life is ending soon for him. He understands that he comes from an average income family hence he didn’t ask money from the family. Travelling would be difficult because he requires dialysis now and then. Despite all these, he still looks strong, as I said, pompous and sounded boastful. He taught me some ways to talk to stranger girls on FB, but he is not sure if that applied to gay men too. We laughed. He is an very interesting person.

SLE, stands for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, is a FUCKED UP disease. There is no cure to this disease. Basically it is a situation where your body immune system have mistaken your own body as enemy, hence continuously launching attacks to tissue and organs, causing renal failure, heart problem, liver, brain and you name it. Real cause is majorly unknown.

Life can be fucked up to some people. But for me, I am very lucky and I need to remind myself that.


1 comment: